Thursday, June 23, 2011

A few more items....

Good morning to all - June Gloom here on the coast is a drag - where's the sunshine?? Oh well, July is coming up.

Aside from being tired a lot, life is good - summer is here, flowers blooming, birds singing and all that. UCLA says I will be on the national list within a couple of weeks, so we're making progress.

In answer to a couple of questions:

I am blood type O - in order to do a direct transplant - donor to patient, the donor would have to be type O as well - positive or negative doesn't matter.

A cross-match transplant involves 4 people - two donors and two recipients - the donors give to the patient that matches their blood group, and the recipients get the kidney they need. A new very connected family is created. This is a specialty of UCLA, and they are proud that it works so well. So that is another option.

Susie of course would love to be the donor (even though her blood type is different) but she really needs to be my caregiver. I will not be able to drive for 3-4 weeks, have to get to UCLA clinic at 6 AM three mornings a week for a while to monitor the anti-rejection drugs, and of course will need bed rest and home care while recuperating. If she was out of commission at the same time it would be impossible.

That's about it for this time - it is difficult for me to accept all this. I am amazed when the doctors accept immediately the situation as critical and needing intervention. Ridiculous I say! But the numbers are there and I feel punky a lot. So, there it is.

thanks for prayers and encouragement - I appreciate it very much
ch

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about this sudden (for me at least) turn of events in your life. As you probably know, my husband Tom had kidney cancer when he was 30. Luckily, they took it out and he has been healthy and happy with one kidney for more than 20 years. Knowing that, I would love to be a donor for you and would do it in a second if my daughter didn't have diabetes. I worry that she may need one of my kidneys one day and since Tom can not give his up, mine would be the logical choice. My niece also has a kidney disease that may require a transplant in the future so our kidneys are spoken for at the wilson house, unfortunately.

    I mention Tom because many people don't realize how well you can live with one kidney. Basically, it just got bigger to compensate and all of his functions are totally normal. The human body is really an amazing thing! When you pair it with modern technology and medicine there is so much that can be repaired and even cured in some cases. In your case, it seems a new kidney is a kind of cure, is that right?

    I will pray very hard for a kind, gentle soul to come forward on your behalf. As we both know the power of prayer can be mighty powerful and I will encourage everyone I know to say a prayer for a kidney for you. Again, I wish it could be me as I know how much you have given to so many, it would be an honor to give back in a meaningful way.

    So enough of the mushy stuff, I hope you have the energy to get thee to the ocean and smell the salt air, watch the beautiful birds, feel the water on your toes. Perhaps a beach house visit is in order for you and Susie and Tom and I.

    "Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." ~ C.S. Lewis

    psw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chip, a few days ago when I read your first post, I was stunned. Thanks for explaining what's going on.. I wondered, but didn't want to be rude and ask. I didn't know this was something you had to 'look forward to' in your life.

    My prayers are with you, my Friend. I'm also praying with you for a donor who will be the perfect match. Keep us posted on the situation and your progress. Sending Love and prayers your way.

    jb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chip,

    We're thinking about you and wish we could share some of this Spanish sun with you too! Will continue to pray for a donor and quick recovery. Most of all, we send our love and hugs from afar--we've been so thankful for your support of us and so many ways!

    Love,
    Jay and Lisa

    ReplyDelete