Monday, June 20, 2011

A kidney is a terrible thing to waste.

Susie and I spent the day at UCLA Kidney transplant center, going through seminars and meetings with surgeon, nephrologist, transplant coordinator, social worker and other support staff. The good news is that Kaiser has approved the procedure, so will pay for all costs for me and my potential donor. UCLA has also approved me for the National List, so I guess I really do need a kidney, although I am still in a bit of denial.

For those of you who would like to know more about the procedure, the Kaiser website will answer many of your questions. I cannot tell you what it means that you even want to be tested. This is truly a gift that defies rational thought, and reaches the depth of compassion and sacrifice. It is truly humbling.

Many of you know that my sister Ginger had a transplant a year and a half ago, and is doing great. My sister Cindy was the donor, and she is doing well also. Since they take the donor kidney laparoscopically now, just a few holes and small incision, recovery time for the donor is remarkable. Literally on the third day after donating her kidney, my sister walked out of the hospital, down the street to a supermarket, bought some groceries, and walked back to her hotel. Within the week she flew back to Seattle.
It is not a piece of cake, there are many tests to go through, blood work and such, disruption of daily routine, and there is pain for a couple of days controlled by drugs, but after a very short time, she was back at work, knowing she was a life giving hero.
I do have the forms that any potential donor can fill out and FAX to UCLA. They will screen the applicants, pick the best match, and go from there. My blood type is O, and that would be the easiest donor to match, but in this modern age, any blood type is a potential candidate with a Cross Match donation possible. More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment